Monday, January 13, 2014

Opensprinkler kit

It is a sprinkler controller that is network accessible.  It is microcontroller based hardware and utilizes the Atmel atmega328 chip.  It can be purchased as a kit or fully assembled.  The hardware and software is opensource.

I purchased a kit in 2011.  It took about an hour and a half to solder, build and install.  Its been in use since then without issues.

The hardware version of the unit I own is 1.0.  The firmware that I wanted to install required the use of an ISP and that I add an interface connector to the opensprinkler unit for the ISP.  Once I acquired the necessary hardware and setup everything it was on to the firmware upgrade.

Now I've used the Arduino UNO and the Arduino IDE to learn how to create and upload programs.  Programming the opensprinkler was different only because it required the command line.  So after several emails to the opensprinkler developer, I used those instructions to successfully upgrade the firmware.  The firmware upgrade took about 44 seconds.
 
The new features of the firmware upgrade are nice.  The web interface is even more user friendly.  It will take time to become more familiar with the firmware upgrade.

Red circle is where the ISP connector goes...

ISP connector installed and ready to program

 
Installed and ready to use.












No comments:

Post a Comment