Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Sprinkler Project


Couple of weeks ago the sprinkler manifold developed leaks



This is what it looked like after removing the sprinkler box, and removing some dirt.  I have already replaced the Tee fitting for the water line in as that was one of the leaks.

The red circle shows one of the leaks.  That leak was a major leak.  The Tee fitting was not properly glued, the water pressure pushed the pipe out.  Fortunately I found the water cutoff valve and turned it off before the Tee fitting completely failed.


The Tee joint failure is much easier to see.  Looks like a different type of glue was used.

Here is the second leak.  The leak is between the valve body and the adapter fitting.  The valve body was loose with no way to properly tighten the fitting since all the fittings were glued in.



After clearing away some of the dirt I could get a better idea of the manifold / plumbing layout.  I used the garden hose and a wet/dry vac to uncover things.  This method seemed to be the quickest way to remove the dirt.  

The manifold completely uncovered.  Looks like zone 2 was worked on but then capped.
 



At this Tee joint I found a major leak, so I removed the piece of tube since it wasn't glued properly and glued it with the correct type of glue.  That Tee fitting started leaking at the main inlet so I eventually turned off the water supply and completely removed the manifold.

Here is a drawing I made to figure out the layout of the sprinkler system.



This is a diagram of what I will be installing.  The manifold will be a hand built unit, not a prefab.  There will be unions for each of the zones and the water valve to make future manifold repairs easier.


This is just after removing the old manifold.


This is replacement manifold.  I was plotting and planning my next moves so I put the piece in place to get some ideas.


Here the replacement manifold is installed.  The zones are from left to right 1 thru 4.  On the incoming side of the manifold, zone 1 still has a small leak so I will tighten that fitting.  On the output side of the manifold, zones 1 and 3 do not leak.   Today I will check zone 2 for leaks.  If all goes well I will wire the manifold to the controller today.


Here is a pic of the sprinkler box installed.

The controller with the old wires still connected to the zones.  The controller was a kit that I purchased online from the opensprinkler website.
This is the wiring using Rainbird's color code for the zones.

This image shows the color code for the zone wiring that I will be using.
As of now, Zone 1 has a small leak on the output side of the manifold.  Zone 2 has a leak on the input side of the manifold.  Zones 1 - 3 have been tested for just a few minutes to check for leaks in the plumbing from the manifold to the zones and so for they look good.  So tomorrow I will work on those problems and then I will adjust the valve body solenoids of each zone to make sure they work properly with the controller.

The manifold has been adjusted about as much as I think I can adjust it.  I installed a sprinkler box over the manifold.  The cutouts on the sprinkler box line up good but there is extra space above the spinkler lines.  I ended up using silicone rtv to "glue" the pieces that were cut out, and make patches out of them to help keep the dirt out.  I wired all the zones to the controller and tested the connections.  All zone work, but I really don't like using silicone encapsulated wire nuts.  Its working for now but I think I will just get rid of those and solder the wires and then use the wire nuts more as covers/protection.

While testing the zones I discovered that zone 2 the back yard has a damaged sprinkler.  It will need to be replaced!  A couple of other sprinklers in zone 2 need to be either replaced or adjusted as their watering patterns don't look like they should.








This is what it looks like inside.  I used wire nuts to secure the connections.  But I will probably end up re-doing those with something better, maybe grease caps or the secure quick connectors that have grease in them.



Ended up having to replace a sprinkler in zone 2, it was a 42sa.  The sprinkler was damaged and whenever it would pop up, water came out of everywhere instead of just the nozzle.  I completely replaced the unit and the supply connection.  I removed the soil around the damaged sprinkler, then cut off the elbow and glued a replacement elbow, then installed a riser to get the sprinkler height lined up with the lawn.

After looking at the 42sa sprinkler it looks like I can just replace the internals of the sprinkler without having to dig it out of the ground.  The sprinkler has a screw on type top.  So it can be unscrewed and the damaged part can be removed and replaced.  I have another 42sa that needs replacing so I will try that type of replacement.

Replaced the 42sa sprinkler in zone 3.  The rotating mechanism was damaged and would not move.  Rather than dig up the entire unit I just uncovered enough to grip it and unscrew the top to remove the internals.  Installed new components and it worked like it should.




This is the type of grease fille caps that I used to waterproof the solenoid connections

Here is a pic of the interior of the valve box.  The manifold is a bit dirty.  It rained earlier in the week and this filled up completely with water!!!
The cause of this filling up with water was due to a number of leaks in the gutter downspouts near the valve box.  I ended up replacing all the downspouts and sealing the connections.


Here is a closer look at the grease caps used.  I added silicone grease to fill the remaining gaps in the caps to make sure the connections were better protected

This is the grease I used to fill the grease caps.  The grease that was already in the caps didn't seem like there was enough so used this stuff to top off the caps.

No comments:

Post a Comment