Saturday, May 25, 2019

25 May 2019 - Linux - virtual machine software and windows 10

I have an older Dell laptop, E6520.  The windows 7 that was pre-installed was corrupt and unable to be updated automatically or manually.  The computer did not come with any recovery media.  The Dell website has a recovery tool for this type of issue.  The recovery tool was able to format and download the correct windows 7 and install it on a usb stick.  However when the usb stick is used to boot the laptop, the process requires windows to be installed in order to "repair" the system.  Dell's website does not cover this type of issue.

So, I decided to wipe the installed unbootable windows software.  I installed Linux-Mint Cinnamon.  The software runs very well on the E6520. Laptop has 8GB of memory, Nvidia 512MB video card, and 500GB hard drive.  I have a need to use Internet Explorer browser for some of the corporate sites that I access.  I installed virtualbox software so that I can run windows as a virtual machine, run Internet Explorer browser to access the corporate sites.

At the microsoft developers website, they have available VMS quite a few windows products.  Those VMS are time limited and depending on the product expire in 30 to 90 days.  Thats ok, I just need to know if windows 10 will work in the VM as well as on the E6520.  I am currently testing those options.

No comments:

Post a Comment